Thursday, September 25, 2008

Letter to Mom on Mother's Day



Dear Mom,

Happy Mother’s Day. Dad asked us to write a nice letter to you for Mother’s Day. But I’m having a hard time thinking of things to write. Not because I cant think of anything nice to say... But I don’t want this to sound like a memorial service.

How do you tell someone that you love them? How do you tell someone who has done everything for you that you appreciate them? I don’t want to start saying things like “Remember when” or “Remember that time.” You have always been there for me in my life when I need you most. You always know when and how to give me support or how to say the right things to make me feel good. And now when you need help to feel good I can’t be there to help you. I can’t be there to give you the support you need. But the thing that tears me up inside is I cant figure out what to say to make things for you to feel good and to know that no matter what happens, that everything is going to be ok. I cry almost every night thinking about you and how hard it must be for you to go through this. I wish I could just be the one going through this.

I do love you mom with all my heart. And I do appreciate everything you have done for me and WILL STILL do for me. I am a better person for having you to be my mother. I am glad I have inherited most of your traits. I know I’m definitely the more sensitive one of the 2. And I’m glad that I have the homemaker trait also. And I’m glad I can sit thru a chick flick with out complaining. And I’m glad I know how to cook and how to do my laundry and how to clean (sometimes) and I’m glad you made me go to my activities and I’m glad that you had me first.

But I will say Remember the time you left me at the baseball field all day on the day we moved into the new house? I still remember that. But I also do remember EVERYTHING that you have done for me and EVERYTHING you have taught me. And I do hope someday I can pass along these things to my kids so they can know how to love and care for and how to be a better person... I love you sooo much Mom and I always will.

3 comments:

Letti said...

Eric that was a very sweet letter to your Mom. Your Mom did a wonderful job rasing you and Marc. You have becaome great men.

lynda said...

Erick, I have been thinking of you so much lately. I've wanted to get in touch with you and, I'm sorry that I haven't. You and your dad and Marc are in my prayers. I am so sad and so sorry about your mom. She is someone I always looked up to, and still want to be like.
-Lynda (your best high school buddy - can you believe it's been 15 years?!)

The Johnson Family said...

Erick- that was so nice. What a great thing to do. We miss you and the girls ask about you all the time. They still comment on how "totally awesome" as Bailey says, the Love Sac is and how cool their Uncle Erick is for giving it to them
Just remember that you can come stay with us any time you feel like a trip to good old Indiana!